¶ Hub Location, Time, and Time Zone
Your hub depends on having accurate location (latitude and longitude) configured in order to create automations based on sunrise or sunset times and on having an accurate time zone for both these and any time-based automation. If you are having problems with scheduled jobs not executing when you expect, checking for correct correct hub time, location, and time zone are good first steps.
To do this:
- Navigate to Settings > Hub Details to...
- Verify Latitude and Longitude (can be calculated from a postal code, if available in your region, or can be put in manually; select the How do I find my latitude/longitude? link to find precise values for your location if needed).
- Verify that Time Zone is set correctly for your actual location. For example, a user in New York City should select US/Eastern (time zones named after regions will automatically account for daylight saving time/summer time, if used in that region).
- Verify that Current Hub Time matches your current time (as of the time of page load; this does not update after the pge is loaded).
- If this time is not correct, you can select Update from browser to sync the hub time with time reported by your web browser at this moment
- If your hub time routinely drifts, note that:
- hub time is not persisted across a shutdown and must be synced from a time server after any time the hub is powered off
- the hub's default NTP (time) server requires Internet access; if you have a local NTP server available, the hub can be configured to use this instead, which requires custom code (search community.hubitat.com for some examples)
See the Hub Details document for more information on this Settings page.
The optional Hubitat Elevation mobile app can be enabled for geopresence to serve as a presence sensor—e.g., to detect whether you are home or away and perform or modify automations based on this status.
Location settings in the mobile app (used for geofence/presence sensing) are different from those configured on the hub (used to calculate sunrise/sunset times, etc.). For presence sensing in the mobile app to work, two settings must be enabled:
- Location permissions for the Hubitat mobile app in your mobile device operating system (you should be prompted to allow these permissions when first installing and launching the app; consult your phone operating system documentation to learn how to verify or change these settings afterwards, if needed)
- Enable GeoFence in the Hubitat mobile app Settings page (can be disabled if you do not want to use the app as a geopresence sensor and do not want to grant locaiton permissions to the app)
When configured correctly, the presence status of your Hubitat mobile app device in your Devices list on Hubitat should update presence status (to "present" or "not present"), according to your settings. This device can be used to trigger or restrict automations that support using presence devices for this purpose.
For more information on configuring your mobile device for presence sensing, see: How to Set Up Mobile Presence.